Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Getting Away

Church planting, it has been said, is the extreme sport of ministry.

When I think about my role, I am part preacher, part leader/motivator, part business manager, part counselor, part vision caster, part boss, chief financial officer, etc.

On top of that, I’m attempting to follow Christ apart from ministry, be a godly husband, effective father, honor my parents, and have deep, meaningful friendships along the way.

As the urgent always battle for attention from the important, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with the hundreds of details that make up a ministry week.

A blog I read a long time ago (I’d give anything to find that insightful post) made a convincing case for church planters to get away two days every 6 or 7 weeks.

I really do try to do that. When I just get away from the chatter and change setting, my faith is increased, I hear from God better, and I can see the vision more clearly.

God’s blessed me with an Elder board who allows me the freedom of flexibility, a church that values seeing me healthy, and a staff that fills every gap when I’m away.

I’m currently at my dad’s on Amelia Island, FL (northeast corner of FL) through Memorial Day. The fam gets to enjoy the beach, and this is a planning week for me.

Please pray for me; God has already been revealing more than I keep up with.

Peachtree, I miss you; but it’s a sweet miss. ;>)

No comments:

Post a Comment