Saturday, February 28, 2009

Life as a Melancholy, Part 3

I continue to hear stories about how the sermon last week was a lights-on experience for a lot of High C people. If you missed this series, You’ve Got Personality, you can get download it (free) at iTunes or peachtreechurch.com.
I’ve blogged this week about all my secrets to not going into the Death Spiral. It’s all about letting Jesus live His life (which is not hindered by the flesh side of a C temperament) through you.
As I’ve prepared for our new series starting tomorrow, I realized another aspect of how to avoid the Death Spiral.
Focus on serving others.
Part of our C is to think about how poorly things are going for us (whether it’s true or not—in fact, by the very definition of being a C, it’s really not as bad as we think).
But when we obsess over our situation, our finances, our view of our perceived success or failure, we are left to stew in our melancholy juices.
But there is a MUCH better (and more holy) way.
Serve someone else. It takes the focus off of me. It puts our admirable C qualities to good use for the good of our neighbors instead of letting our dark side spiral out of control.
Jesus modeled it for us. (John 13:1–17)
It’s not about me, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment