Saturday, February 28, 2009

Life as a Melancholy, Part 4


Okay, this post is partly just to show off my motorcycle (some of the guys told me I have never put a pic of my new bike on my blog). This is what my 2001 Honda Shadow 1100 looks like.

But, seriously, part of defeating the Melancholy pit is in nurturing your own personal vitality. In six years of church planting as a melancholy, I have had some low lows when I've gotten depleted either spiritually, physically, or relationally.

I was reminded recently in a coaching network I'm in that there is also an emotional aspect to our vitality. Bill Hybels says our emotional tanks are filled by operating in our highest spiritual gifts and--are your ready for this...playing.
Yeah, I said it...did God mean for us to play? Paul says in 1 Timothy 6:17 that God is the one who gives us "all things richly to enjoy."

Riding my bike DOES fill my tank. I can't describe it all, but life is good when I ride regularly.
It's another story for another time that my wife let me ride, but melancholies, take note. You need to nurture emotional vitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment